Time: 1 Hour
Ingredients: For Taco Pie
- Cooked rice
- ½ of Any color Bell Pepper chopped
- ½ of a Shallot chopped
- ½ of a small Onion (any is fine) chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 5 chopped Bella mushrooms
- Trader Joe's Beefless ground beef
- Mild Taco Simmer Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Organic Adobo seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons Taco seasoning blend
- Your favorite Vegan cheese
- ¼ cup of water
- Salt to your preference
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for vegan cheese sauce
- 1 cup of cashews
- ½ cup water (you may need more)
- ¼ teaspoon of a Jerk seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast (optional but adds a great cheesy flavor and B12 vitamins)
Taco "Meat" Filling
1. Sauté the 5 chopped mushrooms, ½ shallot, ½ bell pepper, and half onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until they become soft. Medium-High heat. Make sure they don't stick to the pan by mixing a few times.
2. Once soft add the minced garlic and mix ingredients well.
3. Add Beefless crumbles and mix well then lower heat to medium-low. (Note: if you don't have beefless crumbles you can always use cooked lentils instead)
4. Add taco simmer sauce.
5. Next, add ¼ cup water.
6. Add taco seasoning, garlic powder, organic adobo, onion powder and salt.
7. Combine all ingredients well and set the taco meat aside.
1. In a skillet, add your cooked rice, salt, cilantro and parsley and cook for about 2 min until the herbs wilt a little. (Add a much or as little hers as you like for this step. I know some people don't like cilantro)
2. set aside.
Making the Pie
*note: there is a video of how to make this recipe on my instagram highlight story labeled Taco Pie.
- Preheat oven to 350 F while doing this part
1. Using a small skillet or a medium cake pan, add one tortilla on the base.
2. Next, add 4 more tortillas around the skillet. Half of the tortilla should be hanging out of the pan.
3. Add vegan cheese to the bottom.
4. Add the Taco "meat" filling.
*5. Add a small cheese layer on top of the "meat filling"(optional-- only if you like it cheesy)
6. Add rice layer and top with vegan cheese.
7. Gently fold the tortillas over one at a time. It should completely seal the inside.
8. Add cheese under a few tortilla layers so that it sticks well while its baking.
9. Place your taco pie in the middle rack of the oven at 350 F for 30 min. or until the tortilla is lightly brown.
Making the Cheese Drizzle
1. In a high powered blender add all the ingredients : 1 cup of cashews, ½ cup water (you may need more), ¼ teaspoon of a Jerk seasoning blend, ¼ teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon taco seasoning blend, 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, add salt to your preference.
2. Blend on high until smooth.
3. Place cheese in a piping bag (or you can use a ziplock bag an cut the tip off when you are ready to drizzle)
- When the taco pie is ready you can use a spatula take it out of the skillet or if you like to live life on the dangerous side like me you can place a plate on top of the skillet and flip it over :D it worked for me lol.
- Next drizzle the cheese on top of the pie
- Add your favorite toppings that you would usually add to tacos. It can be vegan sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, jalapeños, onions, etc. Make it to your preference and enjoy!
Recipe By: Jovana Capric